Is it any wonder that saltwater is so highly regarded for its anti-inflammatory and restorative effects for our health, when we consider that the very origins of human life came from the sea. It makes sense then that natural sea water contains minerals that are symbiotic with and beneficial to our own physiology. Saltwater has been used to treat infections as early as 1600 B.C. Both the ancient Greeks and Egyptians were known to have used it.
We recommend saltwater rinse because it helps with healing, by increasing the pH balance inside the mouth and creating a more alkaline environment, so the mouth will become less inflamed and heal.
• Gum infection/Inflamation
• Following tooth extraction
Wait for a full 24 hours following extraction before using the salt wash solution. Allow the solution to swish very gently around the teeth in order to protect the blood clot. Using the saltwater rinse has been proven to help prevent painful dry sockets in studies.
• Periodontal disease
• Canker sores/ulcers
1) Bring water to a boil, then pour the water into a small cup (approx 8oz). Remove from heat and let the water cool to a warm temperature. Add 1 teaspoon of good quality sea salt, Celtic salt or Himalayan salt. Adding the salt when the water is warm will help it dissolve, and boiling the water in this way means that the water is sterile.
2) When the water temperature is reduced to warm take a mouthful and allow the solution to rinse around your mouth and over your teeth, have a gargle if you can then spit out the solution. Try not to swallow the solution.
3) Throw away any leftover solution and always make fresh solution so that your rinse is always sterile.
Beautiful formation of naturally occurring sea salt
Sea salt and Himalayan salt are superior because they contain minerals which are also helpful for fighting bacteria, and easing inflammation such as:
• Magnesium - helps activate certain enzymes that are important for the repair of injured tissues
• Potassium - improves human dermal fibroblast viability and cytotoxicity, accelerating human epidermal keratinocyte wound healing in vitro
• Calcium - Apart from being a critical coagulation factor during hemostasis, the calcium ion has also been shown to act as a fundamental cue, directing the cellular functions of different types of cells during wound healing.
Adults and children over the age of 6 (as a guide). If a child can gargle and they are able to follow instruction in order to spit out all of the solution.
If in doubt practice with a cup of plain water first to see that they can comfortably swill and spit it all out. Do not give the solution to a child if they are likely to swallow it.
We recommend using the saltwater rinse up to 3 times a day for example morning, midday and evening. But never more than this, because overuse could actually lead to gum irritation and therefore bleeding.
Do not swallow the solution, aim to spit it all out as there are health risks associated with drinking saltwater and it can hydrate you. Some residual salt taste is normal and this taste will pass.
If you have any dental concerns come and see us, we are here to help you. We will find the right solution and put your mind at ease.
Book your appointment today: click here